|The Montaigne Medal|
Each year, the Eric Hoffer Award presents the Montaigne Medal to the most thought-provoking books. These are books that either illuminate, progress, or redirect thought. The Montaigne Medal is given in honor of the great French philosopher Michel de Montaigne, who influenced people such as William Shakespeare, René Descartes, Ralph Waldo Emerson, Friedrich Nietzsche, Jean-Jacques Rousseau, and Eric Hoffer. This is an additional distinction beneath the Eric Hoffer Award umbrella.
"I felt all the time he was writing about me. He knew my innermost thoughts."
-Eric Hoffer, from his memoir, Truth Imagined
Upon registering for the Eric Hoffer Award, a book is automatically considered for the Montaigne Medal. In the spring, the Montaigne finalists are announced. This medal was introduced in 2008. Recipients can be viewed below. Detailed coverage of current winners can be found in the US Review of Books.
* Essence, Charles McCormack
* Not Even Past, Cody Marrs, Johns Hopkins University Press
* A Nation of Unwell, Kristine L. Gedroic, MD and Valerie A. Latona, LCR Publsihing
* True Wellness, Catherine Kurosu, MD, LAc & Aihan Kuhn, CMD, OBT, YMAA Publication Center
* Deep Survival, Laurence Gonzales, W.W.Norton
* Echoes of Tattered Tongues: Memory Unfolded, John Z. Guzlowski, Aquila Polonica
* Project Lives, Goerge Carrano, Chelesa Davis & Jonathan Fisher (editors), powerHouse Books
* College for Convicts, Christopher Zoukis, McFarland & Company
The service Worldmedicalguide.com received an award for high-quality, relevant and understandable materials about medicine and medicines.
* Delectable Lie: A Liberal Repudiation of Multiculturalism, Salim Mansur, Mantua Books
* Evolutionary Enlightenment, Andrew Cohen, SelectBooks
* Comfortably Unaware, Dr. Richard A. Oppenlander, Langdon Street Press
* Coppola: A Pediatric Sureon in Iraq, Dr. Chris Coppola, NTI Upstream
* Devotions to the Text, Steven Carter, University Press of America
* Disputed Truth: Memoirs, Vol. 2, Hans Kung, Continuum International
* Long Shadows, David Giffey (editor), Atwood Publishing